Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Jake Matthews: An Online Profile

 


    Like most Gen Z'ers, I have a large and well connected online presence. For me, each platform provides a unique look at my life in the moment. Facebook is how I connect with my family as they spread from North Carolina to Wisconsin to Texas to Nevada. Instagram, for me, is like Facebook but for my friends who I went to high school with and who I consider colleagues now at High Point University. Twitter is my political channel where I follow the news and my favorite politicians. LinkedIn is my professional portfolio where I connect with people in my intended career field and current colleagues at High Point University. Snapchat is so I can see the beautiful faces of my friends while we catch up and TikTok is my escape from reality where I can just chill and focus on watching other people. For me, social media and the internet is more than just about connections, it is about memorializing my life in the moment so no matter what happens, it will be documented somewhere.


    Facebook is for my family and occasionally political activity. While I maintain my Facebook activity for my grandparents, great grandparents, and family members spread across the United States, I also use it to flex my political opinions in my hometown. As someone who will go into politics, as long as I do not participate in particularly divisive rhetoric, this will not negatively impact my life. My home county is home to only 19,000 people spread across thousands of square miles. For us, Facebook is the main form of communication about our county's problems and solutions. Sure some post upset people, but more times than not, Facebook posts have led to seemingly positive change in my community. Facebook is also the main way political campaigns in my county operate since we are so spread out with so few people.


    Instagram is my Facebook for friends. Of my 1,111 followers, a majority are college friends and old high school classmates. Sure my family is active on Instagram, but for me, it is a platform to express my college life more freely. My posts are pictures of me and my friends without the inappropriate content that plagues so many people my age. Every once in a while I will post a set of pictures from an outing or hanging around with my friends. Not a political platform for me, Instagram is where I can freely express myself about things outside the realm of political issues. 


    Twitter, the black sheep of social media. For me, Twitter is a political avenue where I can keep up with breaking news, political drama, the occasional meme and sometimes I will give my 2 cents. Twitter has cause trouble for most people in the political world. Thus, I am more careful about my Twitter content than I am on other platforms. My followers include friends, politicians, political campaigns, and some spam accounts. I keep my Twitter clean and it should honestly be a model for my other social media accounts. 


    LinkedIn is my personal baby, my pride and joy. I have spent countless hours polishing my LinkedIn, growing my connections, and expanding my personal brand. Solely used for professional and academic updates, my LinkedIn has prepared me for a job in the world of politics and branding. My network spans from High Point University to the White House and everywhere in between. I am most proud of my LinkedIn and I take pride in the way that it looks and the message it portrays about me.

    For most, social media can be a toxic relationship. For me, it is the opposite. When you do not compare yourself to others and simply be yourself and post content that you are confident in, it can be a great stress reliever. While for me social media is seen as a positive, I can understand and am aware of the impact that social media has on society. In 2019, Brett Kavanaugh underwent the most disgusting Supreme Court confirmation process in American history over allegations with no proof and over yearbook writings. Today, every individual aged 25 and young has an internet and social media presence that can be exploited for profit or political grain.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Jake Matthews: An Online Profile

      Like most Gen Z'ers, I have a large and well connected online presence. For me, each platform provides a unique look at my life in...